Kendal Town Hall
Directions and Parking
Kendal Town Hall is situated in the centre of Kendal at the junction of Lowther Street and Highgate. Look out for the clock tower at the traffic lights
By car :
Leave the M6 at J36 and follow the A590/A591 taking the Kendal South turning towards the town centre and keep in the right hand lane in the one-way traffic system.
Several car parks are available near the Town Hall.
1. Dowker Lane is accessed by turning right immediately after the first Pelican crossing on Highgate, just after Beijing House Restaurant. Follow this road round to a pay and display car park on the right (free after 6pm).
2. Booths Supermarket car park - turn left by the Oxfam shop (opposite the Town Hall) up Allhallows Lane and take the next right (Low Fellside) which leads into the car park (free after 6pm). After 6pm, please park only on the top level as the lower levels close aroun 7:30pm.
3. South Lakeland House car park - this is directly behind the Town Hall. The top floor is available for parking.
On this site once stood White Hall, believed to have been an exchange hall for Kendal’s cloth trade with Virginia. It was replaced in 1825 by a new White Hall, designed by Kendal architect Francis Webster and incorporating a billiards room, newsroom, lecture hall and ballroom. Converted to the Town Hall in 1859 this forms the southern part of the present building. Extensions were commenced in 1893, when Alderman William Bindloss and Mrs Bindloss made a very generous contribution towards the cost of the alterations and improvements. A new tower was added for the clock, and eleven bells which were rung for the first time on the occasion of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897.