Ambleside Parish Church (St Mary's)
Directions and Parking
The Church is situated in the centre of Ambleside, behind White Platts Recreation Ground. Pedestrian access is via the path at the side of The Gables Guest House, or via Vicarage Road by the side of Zeffirellis cinema. The Church can be found next to Rothay Park.
By car - follow the one way system north through Ambleside, turn left from Compston Road into the small road just past White Platts into the church grounds. *Wheelchair users parking only* at the venue. The nearest major car parks are: coming in from the south - on Lake Road, on Rothay Road opposite Rothay Garth Hotel - (postcode for GPS: LA22 0BT) and coming in from north at Rydal Road Car Park on right opposite University of Cumbria campus - (postcode for GPS: LA22 9BL)
St Mary's Church Ambleside was built between 1850 and 1854 in the Early Gothic style. The architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott. It was not as ornate as many Victorian churches, and was one of the first in the North to incorporate ideas from the Oxford Movement. Unlike many Lakeland churches, it has a spire, and is built of sandstone which was more easily worked than the local slate. There are many interesting stained glass windows, including two 'Children's Windows' by Henry Holiday. The Church leaflet contains a plan of the Church, identifying and describing all the windows.